Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sex on the Brain

With February right around the corner I find myself once again preparing for a series of sermons on human sexuality.

This is not as much fun as you might think.

I mean sex is fun, but the annual process of preparing a series of sermons on the topic is a bit of work.

First you have the obvious challenges with content. What do you talk about? How do you say what you say? What does the Bible really say about this stuff? Where's the line that delineates between fearless teaching and offensive blather? I mean, I want people to learn something, to somehow develop a healthier view of sexuality without being so embarrassed by hearing the word "clitoris" that they don't learn anything.

That being said, I have no intention of teaching through the Song of Solomon, because, quite frankly people, that book is full blown Ancient Near Eastern Erotica.

No comments: