Wednesday, April 23, 2008

“Money, it’s a hit...

Don’t give me that do goody good bullshit.” So says Pink Floyd in their classic sarcasm-laden critique of materialism (the song appears on their “Dark Side of the Moon” album, which is coincidentally the fourth highest selling album in history…nice bit-o-irony there).

Funny thing is, this lyric is pretty much the mantra of my life. I spend most of MY money on MYself while simultaneously not giving a damn about the poor and oppressed that are living in squalor all over God’s green earth (hey, wait a minute, it is HIS earth, why doesn’t HE do something about it…oops he did, he created the Church and told her to get off her ass and care for the poor…my bad).

I was just thinking of all the money I made last year, and how much of it was spent on me and my family. We bought a car, rent a nice house, bought a new TV, go out to eat A LOT, new clothes, toys, toys, toys. I claim to be a follower of Jesus, but my checkbook says I am a follower of Scott. I spent almost 90% of my money on me last year. This year will probably be the same.

3 comments:

Total Geek said...

Scott, don't you think this is just an excuse to beat yourself up? I mean, if you contribute to society and conduct yoruself morally, then don't you deserve some measure of reward for your efforts? And teaching your children of the importance of helping others is half that battle. It isn't realistic or healthy for individuals to take on the weight of the world. What you do locally, even privately, is more important. But then, if you started thinking this way, your blogs wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

-SB

Scott Barger said...

SB,

You are probably right. And any attempt on my part to draw a line of demarcation between selfish spending and self-sacrificial spending would probably end up making me legalistic and judgmental.

royal said...

Awesome Post!
I have read your blog and I appreciate the information which you shared here. It is really good read to me.

Thanks
GPS Micro Tracker