Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Super-size me, Jesus, make me bigger.

For me, one of the more devilish aspects of small church ministry is how often my lack of resources causes me to covet the resources of other churches. It is very difficult for me to read a book by a mega-church pastor, I usually only make it about two-thirds through the prologue before I start coveting that pastor's ministry.

It is almost impossible for me to watch a Rob Bell video the whole way through without coveting. Right about the time I hear the familiar "Noooo-ma" sound blurb at the beginning I start feeling a tightening in my gut, that all-too-familiar rumbling of steeple envy that I experience when I look at what Rob has (big church, national speaking ministry, hair) and wish it belonged to me instead. After all, I did win the preaching award in seminary.

This sinful thought cycle tends to get more intense whenever the church where I work encounters a financial crunch which, as luck would have it (or as God would have it, depending on your theological bias), is happening as I type. We are out of money. If we don't come up enough money this week, something won't be paid. I hope that this "something" won't be my pay check. That would not be good.

So I find myself constantly waging war against my steeple envy, telling myself over and over again that I am not in it to grow a mega church. However, if I was honest, I would have to admit that if the pharmaceutical companies came up with a pill that helped enlarge my steeple, I would buy it...in a New York minute.

1 comment:

APBarger said...

Hey bro...I didn't realize your blog was back on. It is good to once again ponder your promulgations.
As for this post, don't you know that mega church pastors know everything?! I mean come on, if a church is mega, so is the pastor, duh. As a fellow small church-er, I understand and identify with your rant. However, you had better be careful. I hear Joel Osteen is looking for you and he is wearing a phony grin and carrying a vat of pomade.