Monday, September 8, 2008

Back in Black

After a month long blog hiatus, I am back. The hiatus was good. I spent time drawing, having beers with guys from church, trying to catch up on sermon prep, worrying about money, and stressing about my sex life. All in all, a good month.

I have been illustrating a lot lately, which is good for me. I study the Bible more effectively when I am working on some sort of design project at the same time. We have been working on our own children's discipleship curriculum at church, and I am heading up the illustrating efforts. It's good, clean fun.

Speaking of good clean fun, I did "Flaming Dr. Pepper" shots with my wife last week. Fantastic, plenty of flame, no burns. It was a good night. Though I feel guilty blogging about it, for some reason. I am sure that somewhere out there I am being judged as a second-rate pastor by a fellow Christ-follower. You know what? I am a second-rate pastor, get over it, I sure have.

The whole alcohol thing kinda hacks me off. Why can't I feel free to talk about having drinks with my wife? I'm sure there are plenty of first-rate pastors who have blogged about having dinner with their wives. Nothing wrong with that, right? What's the difference between eating and drinking? Isn't it true that what makes these activities sinful is how much we indulge? It seems to me it's not the substance, it is slavery to the substance that entraps us and damages our spiritual self. I am not a slave to bourbon, scotch, or beer...are you a slave to food?

On top of all of that, a couple of drinks usually lead to sex for my wife and me. a couple of cheeseburgers rarely accomplish the same.

1 comment:

Andrew Clark said...

It's always a pleasure having you guys in on Wednesdays. Cheers to next year, when everyone will have their own mugs!

--Your friendly local bartender.