Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Revolution

There's nothing like a good economic meltdown to help me come to my senses. Ever since this past week's message (at New Horizon) I have become increasingly aware of the fact that my primary allegiance is not to this country. I like this country and am thankful for the many opportunities afforded me here, but as a follower of Jesus I think my primary allegiance is to the Kingdom of God.

Here is a re-write of an impromptu poem/reflection I read on Sunday. It's not quite the same, but it's close. It's called "You have heard"

You have heard that our country is on the brink of total economic meltdown, but that's not true.
You have heard that the political system of our country is totally corrupt, but that's not true either.
You have heard that the leader of our country is a feckless thug, an avaricious warmonger, but this is certainly not true.
These things aren't true because for those of us who have decided to follow Jesus, our citizenship does not belong to these United States of America. We are part of a revolutionary new Kingdom, one that was created to change the world, conquer death, and beat back the gates of hell.
We are not called to be loyal to a flawed system of human government. We are called to be part of a movement that started over two thousand years ago. A movement that transcends politics and is destined to reinvent the cosmos.
You may have heard that it is the end of the world as we know it. That our country is imploding, collapsing, falling apart at the seams.
But you have heard wrong.

Hang in there. The Revolution is just getting warmed up.

No comments: