Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Seeing Myself in The Desert of Sin

I have been preaching my way through Hebrews at my church. You can check out some sermons here: http://sermon.net/newhorizon

This coming Sunday I will be teaching from Hebrews 3:7-19. It is an interesting passage. Structurally it challenging because it essentially is using a story from Israel's past (Exodus 17:1-7 and Numbers 20:1-13) as it is understood theologically from the perspective of the Psalmist in Psalm 95.

So I have been reading through sections of the Exodus story, reacquainting myself with the rocky relationship between God and his people in these early years. As I have been doing this I have realized a pretty challenging fact.

The people in the desert remind me of me.

I tend to revert to a complaining sort of fatalism at the first glimpse of significant obstacles in my path. I find myself questioning the path that God has called me to walk, not because the path is hard - I expected as much - but because the path seems to be fatal. There are times when I think I might be in mortal danger (figuratively speaking of course...well mostly). I find myself thinking, "Wouldn't it have been better to not have started the journey than to come this far only to fail?"

As I read the story of God's people and their exodus out of Egypt towards the promised land, as I see how similar their attitude is to mine, I am suddenly a bit fearful.

Because that attitude angers God.

No comments: