Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cartoon Me > Real Me

I have always been a closeted fan of the Gorillaz, a cartoon virtual-band who were somewhat popular back in 2001 because of their song "Clint Eastwood." An interesting concept, performing music through a pseudo-identity. Of course the idea is not unique to the Gorillaz, Kiss did it, as did Alice Cooper, Buckethead, and Gwar (don't Google "Gwar," seriously...don't do it). But the idea of a group of cartoon musicians is such a neat idea, existing only in cartoon reality is an enviable existence, methinks.

I sometimes wish I could preach and theologize through a cartoon alter-ego. I could call him "The Reverend Horton Hooligan" and he could speak his mind without fear of consequences. He could question ANY aspect of Evangelical dogma without losing his job. He could be a full blown prophetic disonant, decrying the common consciousness with a Bible in one hand and an oversize ACME anvil in the other.

You Googled "Gwar" didn't you? I told you not to, but you did anyway and now you are slightly less virginal then you were before. You should listen to Reverend Horton, I know of what I speak.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Gorillaz are GREAT. "Demon Days" is one of the all-time great albums. (It's a shame they broke up. Real life drama > virtual band.)

I know that they are/were a pretty popular group, but strangely I have never met another Gorillaz fan. They must not frequent the same circles as me.

Tell me you like Beck, too.