Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Problem with the Bible

The problem with the Bible, or at least "a" problem with the Bible (there are MANY problems with the Bible, but there is one specific problem that is problematic for me today), is that it is almost impossible to convince people who do not accept the authority of the Bible that it is, in fact, reasonable to do so.

That sentence sucked.

What I mean to say is I think it is reasonable to follow the teaching of the Bible, but so many people don't. This means that whenever I enter into a discussion with said nay-sayer, I have this 800-pound gorilla of an issue stinking up the conversation. I think the Bible contains wisdom, she doesn't. My appeal to the Bible as source of moral authority is futile.

The issue is compound by the fact that we Christians all claim the Bible contains "God's truth" yet none of us seem to agree about what that truth is. The Bible is tricky business. I had an atheist ask me this question once, "If the message of the Bible is so important, you know, like, you have to believe it or you are going to burn in hell forever, then why did God make it so hard to understand? It's like he wants it to be hard for people to avoid hell, why did he do that?"

I had no answer.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Good points.

I've stopped trying to get people to accept the Bible. I accept it because it is part of my tradition.

But I kind of like it better that way. I like the fact that we have a faith that doesn't make sense in some places. Otherwise we'd have more Kantians wandering among us, following Jesus because "it just makes sense."

Total Geek said...

Matt, this is crazy. Why on earth should healthy morals be an enigma? Since humans are endowed with such great mental abilities, why does it make more sense to ignore them than to use them?

And Scott, I understand. But if you can make the message relevant to one's life, people will find meaning and value. If the message is nothing but an authority-driven directive, they won't be interested. Simple as that.

-SB

Matt said...

Spongebob,

I guess I wasn't clear. I actually appreciate the Bible. (I teach it for a living.) But to me, the Bible is not an inroad to Christianity, it is a guide for those who are already in the faith.

Scott seemed to be complaining about the difficulty of convincing ubbelievers that the Bible is reliable. I don't do that. there is merit in arguing the historical reliability of the Bible, but you can't convince anyone of its spiritual or moral authority.

I convince people that Christianity is true by the power that the Gospel has had on my life. When people see the way I live and ask, "Why in the world do you act this way?" I say, "Jesus."

Once someone has become a follower of Jesus, the Bible doesn't seem so absurd any more. So--Jesus first, Bible second; not the other way around.